Meaning of life in one word?

(Loosely based on a true incident)

Let me tell you about a boy.
He is an orphan.
Nobody is born an orphan. He wasn’t either. But I feel that he should have been.
Shocked? Angry? Or feel like “how disgusting this writer is!”?
I’d still say the same words.
That boy was left by his parents on the doorsteps of an orphanage when he was around 10–11 years old. He was told to live in that orphanage forever and was given a goodbye kiss. 4 eyes must have filled with tears. And 2 innocent ones must be trying to grasp what’s happening.
I don’t know if you can classify an 11-year boy as young or old, but I guess, he was just old enough.
Too young to be left on his own. But old enough to know that he has been left.
Too young to leave his own house forever, but perhaps old enough to know that he won’t see that roof again.
Too young to leave those two hands, but perhaps old enough to know that he might not hold them again.
One can only imagine the storm that small heart must have gone through. A storm that shook his entire world. A storm that suddenly made him an orphan.
One would break down under such circumstances. I would have. You too. But he didn’t. Maybe, he wasn’t that old enough. Or maybe, he was strong enough.
After 4–5 years, when I saw him for the first time, I didn’t see any pain in his eyes. I only saw two things: a Dream and Hope.
He was living with his several brothers and sisters, studying in a good school, playing cricket and weaving big dreams.
Dreaming to be a doctor, hoping to achieve them.
I was really amazed by his determination. He aspires to be a big doctor and cure all his patients for free. And he is willing to work hard to achieve his dream. Rather, he already is. He scored very good marks in his 9th std. and proudly told it to me. With such a sweet smile on his face. A smile filled with slight pride, and a lot of happiness. A smile worth zillion dollars. :)
We cry over every trouble we face. We cry over low grades, bad bosses, boring lectures and broken hearts. But that boy, he is trying to create the world out of a zero. Yes, don’t let the child inside of you die, cause a child is a fearless Phoenix, God's own creature, an embodiment of dreams and hope.
So, if you ask me to state the meaning of life in one word, then I won’t be able to do it. But if you give me a liberty to use 2 words, then I’d use Dream and Hope.
Life is all about dreaming big and hoping to achieve them.
Btw, when I was about to leave that place, that small boy came to me and gave a balloon, as a gift. I have still kept that balloon with me (the one in the pic).
I will keep it with me for as long as I can. Cause it’s not just a balloon, it’s an epitome of a dream. And it’s a symbol of a hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I fought 3 dragons and still survived (or the story of my IIM Bangalore Interview)

Masala Chai (or How I Ruined My Chances to Get Into IIM Lucknow)

Arjun Reddy : How a Love Story Without Rules Changed Cinema While Giving Zero Fucks

A journey to remember......

What Could Have Been The Prologue (or Chapter 0) of My Novel

Its All About The Attitude...