A few good lines from a few good books

During my 23 years of long life and perhaps some 10 odd years of short reading life, I have read plenty of books and some of them have really touched me, just because a few awesome lines in them couldn’t escape my glance and now, can’t escape my heart. At the risk of being repetitive, I would love to share some of those pearls with you.
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
    • “I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.”
    • "Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
  • The Fountainhead
    • “Who will let you? That’s not the point. The point is who will stop me.”
    • “To sell your soul is the easiest thing in the world. That’s what everybody does every hour of his life. If I asked you to keep your soul – would you understand why that’s much harder?”
    • “To say "I love you" one must know first how to say the "I".”
    • “I inherit nothing. I stand at the end of no tradition. I may, perhaps, stand at the beginning of one.” (My favourite)
  • Atlas Shrugged
    • “I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips.”
    • “Your fear of death is not a love for life. . .”
    • “Man has the power to act as his own destroyer--and that is the way he has acted through most of history.”
    • "I never believed that story. I thought by the time the sun was exhausted, men would find a substitute."
    • “Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think that you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong.”
  • The Alchemist
    • “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
    • “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”
    • “People are capable, at any time in their lives, of doing what they dream of.” (My Favourite)
    • “It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.”
  • Animal Farm
    • “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”
    • “Man serves the interests of no creature except himself.”
  • The Zahir
    • “When someone leaves, it's because someone else is about to arrive- I'll find love again.”
    • “What we need to learn is always there before us, we just have to look around us with respect and attention in order to discover where God is leading us and which step we should take next.”
  • The God of Small Things
    • “That's what careless words do. They make people love you a little less.”
    • “That's what careless words do. They make people love you a little less.”
    • “If you're happy in a dream, does that count?”
    • “Things can change in a day.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I fought 3 dragons and still survived (or the story of my IIM Bangalore Interview)

Masala Chai (or How I Ruined My Chances to Get Into IIM Lucknow)

Arjun Reddy : How a Love Story Without Rules Changed Cinema While Giving Zero Fucks

A journey to remember......

What Could Have Been The Prologue (or Chapter 0) of My Novel

Meaning of life in one word?

Its All About The Attitude...