Why do we even care ?

Why do we even care?
Is it because we want to understand each other or indulge in the futile exercise of ‘talking’ ?

Recently, I have started visiting a close friend of mine in Mumbai and we have been discussing everything from the state of relationships to Games of Thrones to why only successful people should dish out wisdom. 

And since we were talking, I wondered why were we discussing all that, is it because we wanted to come to a conclusion or augment the conversation.

My friend tells me that I am an optimist who believes in the good in people but, more often than not, get disappointed.
I have never been more offended.

I couldn't have been more surprised for I have always maintained my social awkwardness with utmost sincerity and lived like a pessimist.


So, in order to understand why he was being rude to me, we started talking while taking a stroll on Marine Drive at 12:30 AM.

It all started with our personal lives.

We both are strong headed individuals, which is why we both are taken as arrogant and self centered bastards. 
A common mistake these days, not your fault.

Despite our progressive thinking, which is anyway an ambiguous phrase (I mean what is progressive and is there a calculator or parameter to define that ), we were at fail to understand what was going around us.

Relationships are failing at a rate more akin to our politicians credibility, despite the full throttle on women empowerment, the women who actually need it are finding themselves in a much worse state, so called youth is working towards something which they know will be redundant when they turn wise and so on and so forth.

He had a valid point to tackle these things.
Stop fucking caring.
And though, it might sound like giving up but as we went on conversing, it made sense because when you care, you act and when you act, you are somebody who's trying to stand in the way of progressive thinking. And then you're the bad person.

But, as always, I had a different point of view.
I wanted to talk about things rather than being indifferent to them. And that has not been a great choice, I must tell you but that hasn't deterred me from taking up a conversation on a difficult subject.

He told me, referencing psychology books (he’s a voracious reader), if we try and help somebody see a valid point but they aren't willing to do that, it bodes trouble. Some people, he told me, decide not to see things with rational but from a point of view which might not make sense to me. But that doesn't make them wrong.
People do not always do the right thing (what is right or wrong, anyway); sometimes it is more important to do the necessary thing.

He told me and I quote it “stop behaving like a God. It’s not your job to save somebody.”

It made sense to me.

But then it was my turn to speak.


If we want to help a person and psychology books do not want us to, what are we supposed to do ?

It makes more sense to me if we try and help a person (which my friend didn't consider as helping), or let me paraphrase it, tell a person a point of view which they might be ignoring for whatever reason, they should be appreciative of your concern than scorn at your know it all attitude.

I do not claim to be the wisest but I believe my experiences and failures can help a few dozens and, if Im able to do that, I’d have served my purpose here.

I do not think giving up on a person is the right thing to do because ultimately its all about the people around you. You want well for the people who are around you and want to help them in anyway possible, which might sound pompous but believe me, this feeling comes from the most caring part of the heart.

For all the philosophy out there, there are certain whites and black. There are certain right things and certain wrong things. Just because we’re in a fucking period where everything is ‘my choice’, it doesn't make it acceptable and RIGHT.
But as we went to having this conversation, he had examples to support his hypothesis and I had only failed whenever I had tried my approach.

By the end of all that, his way made more sense than mine. 

And I think that’s how I should be going ahead as well.

But, the arrogant and egoistical bastard inside me isn't ready to give up yet. He wants to believe in people and help them, not because they need it, but to show a different perspective.

I know, it is not going to end well but if, and thats how world survives, I can bring a little change in somebody’s life, it’ll all be worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I fought 3 dragons and still survived (or the story of my IIM Bangalore Interview)

Masala Chai (or How I Ruined My Chances to Get Into IIM Lucknow)

Arjun Reddy : How a Love Story Without Rules Changed Cinema While Giving Zero Fucks

A journey to remember......

What Could Have Been The Prologue (or Chapter 0) of My Novel

Meaning of life in one word?

Its All About The Attitude...